Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Ordering is Such a Soothing Occupation


I don’t have many days when I have a compulsion to spend a whole morning ordering, but yesterday I was waiting for a new refrigerator to be delivered (unplanned expense). Plus, it was the fourth day of a head cold, and in between draughts of Nyquil and Dayquil, I began to suspect that I was dragging.
My writing study at home is across the hall from our bedroom. The computer desk faces the window, where the warm southern sunshine fills the room on cold winter days. I bought an opaque shade that screens out the sun, blocks out most of the view, and when I am actually writing, cuts the glare on the computer screen.
Yesterday, however, a gorgeous but appropriately cool day for October, the sun felt comforting, so I sat at my desk and ordered my financial records. Business expenses were filed, I wrote out a check to pay down the SEARS credit card. I tossed old bank-deposit notices. Reminder notes were re-read and some discarded. I straightened books, added to the writing pile of the most recent project, worked on my desk calendar, called tradesmen who are still making repairs after the derecho that hit our area on June 29.

To read more, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment