Friday, February 22, 2013

God in Small Things


Have you ever gone on a God Hunt? A God Hunt begins when you teach yourself to look for God’s hand at work in the everyday occurrences of your life. Here’s one of my personal God Hunt Sightings:


This week Karen is in the Dominican Republic directing a film shoot for Medical Ambassadors International. She would appreciate your prayers as you read these blogs. Filming in another country, on a low budget and without knowing the language can be tricky indeed. Shoot crews are well aware of their need for God’s help. Thank you.

In small things do we see His hand. I need to fly into the Dominican Republic, go through immigration and pick up my baggage. I am scheduled to arrive at 8:40 in Santiago and will probably complete all the arrival complications by 9:30. Then I am supposed to make my way to the curb, through a crowd of milling Dominicans who are waiting for family and friends, find a taxi, ride off into the approaching midnight with this cabbie stranger and direct him to the hotel without my knowing a modicum of Spanish beyond “Ola!” and “¿Cuál es su nombre?” (“What is your name?”)

Today, however, five days before I am supposed to depart, I was working up a day schedule for the shoot. When I entered the arrival times of the crew, of myself or of the principles, I realized I was scheduled to arrive in Santiago about the same time as the videographer and the sound man.

“Is there any possibility that we will be arriving on the same plane?” I shot off in an e-mail inquiry. Sure enough, the two film guys and I are scheduled to fly out of Miami on the same flight.

I praise God for His manifold loving provisions, for His care. Today (I am writing on Ash Wednesday), the Scripture read in the liturgy this morning reminded me:

The people: We beseech Thee to hear us, good Lord.
The liturgist: That it may please Thee to inspire us, in our several callings, to do the work which thou givest us to do with singleness of heart as Thy servants, and for the common good.
 :    
The people: We beseech Thee to hear us, good Lord.
The liturgist: That it may please Thee to preserve all who are in danger by reason of their labor or their travel.



Male companions in a taxi for a night ride is a small thing, but I am not so small before the Lord that I am not worthy enough to be a recipient of His loving care.


I spy God!

No comments:

Post a Comment